YMCA boasts membership increase at natatorium

Swimming classes, lower fees bring more people

Memberships to the natatorium have seen a steady increase since the YMCA took over the once defunct building in January, according to Caleb Read, YMCA aquatics director.

“We’re up to about 350 plus memberships,” said Read, who used the numbers as evidence to the positive affect that the YMCA is having on the natatorium.

The influx of new members is due to new programs that the YMCA has implemented, such as various swimming classes. The YMCA also dropped the membership price to attract new members from the community.

Students get free access to swim, but the classes will cost students extra. Students may have to pay more in the future, too, if the YMCA completely takes over the natatorium at the end of the 18-month agreement the organization has with the University.

If the YMCA does totally take over the natatorium, students will likely have to pay for access. It is unclear what would become of the natatorium fee students currently pay if that happens because much of the building’s future rests on a referendum vote in the spring.

The natatorium’s future remains in limbo, pending a student vote in April. Students could vote to build a new outdoor pool in Bayou Park. Also on the ballot is measure to turn the natatorium into an event center.

The natatorium’s future also depends on sustainability. Student Government Association President Brooke Dugas said the building’s fate will be up in the air until after the referendum vote.

“We really weren’t sure what their membership would rise to,” Dugas said. “We do think that this is very good, and this is a great opportunity for the students and the community to use the facility.”