NCAA sends good news to men’s basketball; reinstated

Good news always seem to come in bunches. For the men’s basketball team it has been no different.

The NCAA reinstated its postseason eligibility for next season and restored the full allotment of scholarships.

The announcement was made public last Saturday after the NCAA approved a waiver submitted by ULM to be reinstated.

“This is great news for our program,” head coach Keith Richard said. “Our players have really stepped up and are making significant progress academically.”

The Sun Belt Conference announced ULM’s ban on May 24, 2011 and it was due to low APR scores dating from 2006-2010.

The team didn’t have much success on the court this season, but they are succeeding in the classrooms.

Athletic director Bobby Staub said, “We are extremely proud of our student-athletes and their performance in the classroom.”

He said, “It’s been a true team approach from President Nick Bruno and the President’s Athletics Task Force down to our coaches, faculty, academic staff and, of course, our student-athletes.”

Brett Bennett who serves as the faculty athletics representative and chairman of the PATF said, “The willingness of the PATF to take an honest look at the causes of APR point loss and work toward aggressive corrective action is demonstrated in the improvement plan in place and validated by the response from the NCAA.”

With the reinstating of the scholarship the team will be able to offer more in its recruiting process.

Not only does this show recruits the team is now taking classroom success seriously, but it also shows change for the better is on the way.

Staub said, “While we still have some strides to make, we are definitely headed in the right direction.”

Since the season’s end, Richard has been on the road recruiting. Now he has more to offer them.