Tennis’ Polak works hard to lead team to conference title

Senior Vivian Polak tries her luck at night tennis
Srdjan Marjanovic

The Flying Dutchman is a 17th century legend about a cursed captain who led an unnamed ghost ship into dangerous water.

For the tennis team, there are no worries because its captain leads it to victory.

Warhawks’ “Flying Dutchman,” senior Vivian Polak, has only added wins since her arrival to what was a losing program.

Polak is from the Netherlands and has brought good luck to the tennis team after posting only one win during her freshman year.

In her first year in America, Polak said she gained 18 pounds, which ultimately slowed her down.

“My parents asked me what I did to gain that weight,” said Polak, laughing back on it.

But she said for her second season she was ready to compete, and she dropped her weight to where it needed to be with the help of assistant coach R.J. Nagel.

“He [Nagel] really does a lot,” Polak said. “His time and effort helps us so much.”

In her sophomore year, the team advanced to the semi-finals in the conference tournament. Although that was as far as the team advanced, Polak was proud to be part of that.

“That was the first year we really started winning,” Polak said. “It was big for us.”

This season, Polak earned a national ranking of 88 in singles play, but as of Feb. 16 she ranks at 107.

The personal ranking isn’t a concern for Polak, the big concern in her final season is to just win conference.

The team scheduled tougher opponents to compete against this season, and Polak said it will make the team more ready.

In her junior year, Polak helped the team get a national ranking of 46, and at the end of the season she was named All-Sun Belt, in both singles and doubles play.

She also was named to the All-Louisiana Second Team.

As a sophomore, Polak was named to the All-Sun Belt Team with former doubles partner Ana Burjaili and earned All-Louisiana honors.

Burjaili finished her career at ULM last season, and now Polak partners with freshman Ema Turudija. Polak and Turudija have only two losses on the season by a combined three points.

“She is the boss on the court,” Turudija said. “Whatever she tells me, I do.”

“I’m happy with her though because she’s not strict and is helping me get better,” Turudija said.

Polak’s tennis interest peaked only because her childhood coach offered candy to her when she did well.

Her love for candy not only helped her advance in tennis play, but it also opened the door for her to see popular tennis pros before they were big-time.

As a teen, Polak was a ball girl for tennis matches.

One match she will always remember was picking up balls for tennis star Roger Federer.

“I remember hearing people saying then that he would be good one day.”