Football hits the gridiron

Football hits the gridiron
Srdjan Marjanovic

The football team began its spring practice, and after the first week, it is clear the team has a chip on its shoulder.

The team showed its anxiety with physical play and hard hits, testing each other’s toughness.

“I’m just eating it up right now,” linebacker Austin Moss said. “I’m trying to show out.”

Moss joined the teamed this semester and said he knows he is at a disadvantage coming in, as far as knowing the plays, but he said his goal is to learn everything by the end of spring.

“It’s been a good few days, I’m just trying to give all my effort.”

The first week highlighted those who are blossoming into elite players and leaders for the team.

Receiver Je’Ron Hamm spent most of his sophomore season injured, but now is proving to the coaches why he was recruited.

“I got this season to come back and work harder,” Hamm said. “I’m going hard in everything I do.”

Hamm said his confidence went down with the injuries last season, but he’s making plays in this spring workout to help boost it up again.

Head coach Todd Berry begins his third season leading the team and said he just wanted to see who handles the “cerebral side of the game.”

“Getting guys into football shape in terms of technique,” Berry said. “For the younger guys there’s a lot piled up on them, so they are mentally swimming right now.”

Berry said he is impressed with both new guys and returnees. The team added two walk-ons from the open tryouts held in February.

“They are both great young men, and are physical,” Berry said. “The speed of the game is faster, and it can take guys off guard a little bit, both of these guys responded well to it.”

Linebacker Nick Cheesman and cornerback Felix Blade were the chosen two who made it through the tryouts.

“It feels great to be in maroon and gold,” Blade said. “I just want to come out here and bring a competitive spirit and do my best.”

Cheesman added, “I’m a team player, and I’m going to work to better myself and  everybody else.”