Rehearsals underway for ‘Chicago’

VAPA to host shows at end of March

Looking for excitement? Look no further than ULM’s version of the musical “Chicago” coming up March 29 to 31 at 7:30 p.m. in Brown Auditorium.

Expect drama, scandal and murder most vile in this tale, which is based on a true story, about two women who get acquitted for their wrong doings.

Senior vocal performance major, Melissa Champion, is playing Velma Kelly, one of the main characters in the musical. This will be Champion’s third musical.

She said “Chicago” is different from other musicals she has done. “It’s very risqué. You don’t always hear about murder and sex in a musical,” said Champion.

Kelly, Champion’s character, is in jail for killing both her husband and sister. The play is set in the jazzy 1920s Chicago scene.

Other main characters will be played by the following: Alyssa Flowers as Roxie Hart, Caleb Wilkins as Billy Flynn, Nathanael Medlin as Amos, Allyson Wilson as Momma Morton and Catherine Morrison as Go to Hell Kitty.

The cast and crew have been working hard at their rehearsals since January. The performers practice for three hours, four days a week.

“It has very good music with amazing choreography. It’s witty, funny, serious and sad,” said Champion about the musical.

A’Kai Solmone, a junior mass communication major, said she is excited for everyone to see the dance numbers. As a principal dancer, Solmone will be dancing throughout both acts.

“We are pretty much finished. We are just running scenes and doing rehearsals,” said Solmone.

Tickets for “Chicago” will be $15 at the door and $5 for faculty and staff. Students get in free with their ULM ID.

Tickets will be for sale in the VAPA office, located in Biedenharn Hall. For more information about the performance, contact Robin Stephens at [email protected].