Tennis proves too spicy for Ragin’ Cajuns

Tennis’ junior Medy Blankvoort extended her singles winning streak to 12 matches Thursday, defeating conference-rival opponent University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

The Warhawks team won overall 5-2 against the Ragin’ Cajuns, improving its season record to 10-2 for the season and kicking Super Warhawk Weekend off with a bang.

Blankvoort swept her opponent at court number two, continuing her undefeated streak and helping ULM earn its second conference win and remain unbeaten against Sun Belt opponents.

“Individual wins really don’t matter to me,” Blanvoort said. “Unless, it is an overall team win.”

Blankvoort’s biggest wins of the season came against Southeastern Conference opponents Auburn and Mississippi State.

“I’m happy about it though because it shows that my work is paying off,” Blankvoort said. “But still I need to make sure I can get the wins that really matter when it comes to the conference tournament.”

Senior Vivian Polak wanted to get the win against ULL, not only because the Ragin’ Cajuns are the Warhawks’ biggest conference-rival, but also because it was her birthday.

Unfortunately, Polak couldn’t make her birthday wish come true. She lost in singles play 6-4, 2-6, 10-6.

“I just couldn’t get it together today,” Polak said. “It would have been nice to get a win on my birthday.”

Redshirt freshman Sophie Rufyikiri lost her singles match 6-4, 2-6, 10-8. Throughout her match, Rufyikiri let her temper show a little. She pretended to slam her racket against the court and stomped her foot in frustration.

“I was making a lot of mistakes,” Rufyikiri said.” I wasn’t playing the right way and kept messing up during crucial points.”

Despite the frustrations, the team was pleased to get the win, but next time hopes the win will have a better feel to it.