Warhawk leaders host event-filled weekend

Srdjan Marjanovic
ULM vs South Alabama

The annual Super Warhawk Weekend attracted family and friends from everywhere to join in on the festivities carried through the beautiful Monroe sunny weather.

“It’s been great,” said Bobby Staub, director of athletics. “We had phenomenal weather, a great turnout and everybody seemed to have enjoyed themselves.”

The weekend started on Thursday with a strong win for the tennis team over conference-rival the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns.

The baseball team followed with a conference series against the University of South Alabama on Friday and wrapped up on Sunday.

On Saturday, the football team hosted its annual spring game between the Maroon and Gold team, and the soccer team held a free clinic for kids to participate in after the football game.

“We put a lot of activities in a short amount of time,” Staub said, “but the community really enjoys it and supports us.”

Also, at Malone Stadium during the annual Maroon and Gold Game, fans were able to get free barbecue from the student cookout, and purchase all-you-can-eat crawfish.

The football game drew the most attention of the weekend, having the biggest fan turnout at Malone Stadium as the Maroon and Gold teams faced off.

“This is a young university, so we are having to create a lot of the history here still,” said Todd Berry, head football coach, “but it’s a great opportunity for our players to be involved in.”

At the end of the game, the players signed autographs and took pictures for friends, family and fans.