No password, no job

Some interviewers ask job seekers for Facebook access

Imagine you land an interview for your dream job. The interview goes very well, and you’re feeling confident. Then, just as the interviewer is wrapping up, he asks for your Facebook username and password. Suddenly, you start to feel uncomfortable and don’t know what to say.
Recently, job seekers have been faced with this issue, and many are unsure about how to handle this awkward dilemma.
Most students do not realize how big of an influence social media has on the workplace. Whenever employers are considering potential employees, they want to make sure that whomever they hire will reflect a positive image of their company.
If a workplace finds content on an employee’s profile page that they consider inappropriate, then they could fire that employee instantly.
Rico Fuller, a freshman communication studies major from Monroe, said, “First, I would ask the employer why you need this information. If they gave me a reasonable answer, I would feel comfortable because I have nothing to hide.”
Many people have heard rumors of employers checking potential employees’ profiles through a common friend’s page.
But, now that social networking sites are so prevalent and many people share every minute detail of their lives. on their profile page, some employers are asking interviewees for their account login information, giving them full inside access to the account.
Now that this issue has caught the nation’s attention, lawmakers are debating over whether this odd request is legal and how much trouble companies can get into for asking for this private information.
A bill that would prevent “snooping” into Facebook profiles was defeated last week in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Director of Career Connections and Experiential Education Roslynn Pogue said, “My advice for students is three simple words: Keep it clean. Don’t give employers another reason not to hire you.”
Some tips on being safe with your social media account are: always keep your passwords secret, log out immediately when you leave a computer and most importantly, do not accept friends that you do not know.
If you think something you’re about to post on Facebook could be deemed as inappropriate, then it is probably best not to post it.

View Comments (1)