Study abroad program adds new locations

Want to get away? ULM is offering two new courses for students who are interested in taking college courses in another country during summer sessions I and II.
Joni Noble, an associate professor of art, will teach the new art/photography courses.
“Studying abroad completely changes your perspective of the world,” Noble said. “Students come back with broadened perspectives.”
The summer I course will be offered from May 25 to June 28. This six-credit course is called “The Compass” and involves a variety of subjects, including history, art history, political science, psychology and art/photography.
The classes for this course will take place in Amsterdam, Berlin, Normandy and London. Students will have four free travel days in between each city they visit. As part of their tuition, the students will be given a Eurail Pass, Northface backpack and an iPad to aid them.
Senior graphic design major Kelsey Hargrove from Monroe said, “I studied art photography for a month in London. It was the best trip I could have made, and if you can get ahold of the money, it is well worth it!”
Hargrove was referring to money some students receive from the Financial Aid office to help off-set travel expenses.
The summer II study abroad course called “British Studies” lasts from June 28 to July 30. The course will be held in London and other cities throughout the area.
Noble said students should also be excited because the Olympics are in London this year.
Some other classes students can take while studying abroad involve subjects such as journalism, the music industry, psychology, WWII history, sports management, business, literature and theater.
The tuition does not pay for students’ personal traveling days or extra food.
Freshman pre-nursing major Aaron McDaniel said he is studying abroad in Mexico this summer.
“I’m really excited because I’ll get to experience the rich Mexican culture and learn about the everyday life there,” said McDaniel. “I’m looking for this to help me speak the language more fluently.”