Historic retirement

After 47 years, Jones ends career as ULM professor

After this semester, ULM will bid farewell to one of its most well-known and cherished professors, H.P. Jones.
If one were to ask any student on campus if he or she had heard of Jones, each one would most likely respond with, “Yes.” Many of those students would also be likely to tell a funny story about one of Jones’ many shenanigans.
Emily Ponti, a freshman mass communication major, said her favorite Jones’ shenanigan happened during Halloween.
“He had a couple guys carry him into the classroom inside a wooden box and came out dressed in a cap and gown,” Ponti said.
Friends and family threw Jones a retirement party at Enoch’s Irish Pub and Café Wednesday evening. The approximately 50 people in attendance included Jones’ fellow colleagues, former students, friends and family.
“We were celebrating 47 years of his stories and his antics,” said Neil White, an assistant professor of sociology.
His daughters, as well as former students shared stories – and former students of Jones are definitely  not in short supply.
He has taught some 30,000 students over the course of his career here at ULM, according to Ralph Brown, head of the History Department.
“Dr. H.P. Jones has been a remarkable professor in the History Department for the last 47 years…We’ve been so fortunate to have him amongst us,” said Brown.
According to White, Jones has made such an impact on ULM and the Monroe area that Mayor Jamie Mayo and the City of Monroe declared April 25, 2012 H.P. Jones Day.
Like Ponti, when many students think of Jones, the first thing that comes to mind is the frequently told story about how he popped out of a wooden coffin during class.
And, of course, his ever-present 1974 yellow Volkswagen will be sorely missed around campus.
Still, don’t be surprised to see him at a baseball game or using the computers in the library next year, either. He doesn’t plan on being a stranger.
Jones may be a teacher, but he has learned from his teaching experience, too.
“Basically, the students are good. They’re good students,” said Jones.
Jones said he will miss the students most of all.