Expectations high as football season begins

Team looks to put disappointing 2011 season in past

Murphy’s law tells us that what can go wrong will go wrong, and that certainly was the case for ULM football last fall.

A promising 2011 campaign was derailed by a rash of injuries that left the Warhawks with a 4-8 record and another bowl-less holiday season. Injuries to key personnel, particularly on offense, piled up at a rate unlike anything head coach Todd Berry has seen in his 30-year career.

“Injuries are going to happen, but to have as many significant injuries as we had last year really creates problems,” said Berry, who is entering his third year at ULM.

Now healthy and with the frustrations of last year behind them, the Warhawks enter 2012 determined to claim the Sun Belt championship and play in a bowl game for the first time in school history.

“Expectations are lofty but I think they’re more realistic than what they’ve been the last couple years,” Berry said.

The team spent the off-season looking to generate big plays on offense and improve the special teams.

Despite outgaining their opponents by over 100 yards last year, the ULM offense struggled to find the end zone, finishing 77th in the country in scoring. Berry and offensive coordinator Steve Farmer will have some playmakers at their disposal in this year’s unit.

Quarterback Kolton Browning and wide receiver Brent Leonard have the chance to be one of the most productive tandems in the Sun Belt. Leonard, a preseason all-conference selection, leads a receiving corps that had seven players with 17 or more receptions last season.

The running game is in good hands with the tandem of Jyruss Edwards and Centarius Donald, who ran for a combined 1,081 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2011.

An offensive line that allowed 35 sacks last season, 13th worst in college football, is cause for concern. Browning played eight games with a broken sternum last season and can’t afford to take the same kind of punishment this year. Farmer, who is also the offensive line coach, believes maturity and a better understanding of the offense will lead to improvement.

Inconsistent special teams were a constant problem last season, one that new special teams coach Travis Niekamp is looking to fix. Niekamp, who’s relationship with Todd Berry dates back to Illinois State, has emphasized fundamentals and likes his group’s work ethic.

A deeper roster will give ULM more options to work with on special teams. Look for Jyruss Edwards and redshirt freshman Cortney Davis to return kicks. Sophomore kicker Justin Manton was pressed into duty as a true freshman last season and connected on 43 percent of his field goals. Sophomore Conner Fryoux returns at punter.

Defensively, the Warhawks will be looking to repeat last year’s success, which saw them finish 1st in the Sun Belt and 22nd nationally in total defense. Coordinator Troy Reffett will have his work cut out for him. ULM must replace six starters, including safety Darius Prelow and defensive ends Troy Evans and Ken Dorsey.

Junior Kentarius Caldwell, last year’s starter at nose tackle, moves to his natural position of defensive end. Redshirt freshman Gerrand Johnson will step in at the nose tackle position.

The sophomore trio of Malcolm Edmond, Joey Gautney and Darius Lively are competing to lockdown the other end spot.

Seniors Cameron Blakes and R.J. Young lead a veteran group of linebackers. Junior college transfer Austin Moss was the talk of the spring and he should see significant minutes. Moss, who began his career at the University of Arkansas, brings the size and physicality that every coach looks for on defense.

Khairi Usher, Isaiah Newsome and Cordero Smith give ULM some depth at safety. The Warhawks signed six defensive backs in last year’s recruiting class, which will give them options in case of injury.

Reffett has some experienced guys to work with at cornerback, including junior Vincent Eddie, junior Otis Peterson and sophomore Rob’Donovan Lewis. Eddie finished third on the team in tackles and interceptions last year, and Peterson started 9 games in 2010 before missing all of 2011 with an arm injury.

As the opener against Arkansas looms, Berry sees confidence about them. Since moving to the FBS level in 1994, ULM has not participated in a bowl game.

This team would like nothing more than to be the first group of Warhawks to get there.

‘These guys know they can do it and this could be a very exciting season,” Berry said. “We’re anxious to get going.”