Convocation welcomes freshmen

Maroon and gold balloons lined the sides of the bridge as the new freshman class made the traditional journey Wednesday from the bell tower of the library to the Fant-Ewing Coliseum. 

The journey is symbolic because the coliseum marks the beginning of the college with convocation and for many, the end of college with graduation.

The freshman class listened on as they were given words of wisdom from select ULM faculty, such as ULM President Nick Bruno and the guest speaker, award-winning Chief Meteorologist Jarod Floyd of NBC10/FOX14 News.

Floyd is a 2006 graduate of the university. While here, he earned awards for his radio coverage of hurricane Gustav.

Floyd offered many tips on making the best of the college experience, but his main message was that college is truly what you make of it.

“Make the best of this opportunity that you’ve been given,” said Floyd.

Jillee Carter, a freshman, elementary education major, said she was very impressed with Floyd’s speech.

“His advice about no matter how hard it gets, you have to keep close to your family,” Carter said. “They’ll always be there to support you, no matter what. You need a good support system.”

For Carter, convocation was the first official ULM function she’d attended since orientation.

She said walking across the bridge with her new classmates was “overwhelming.”

“I had a graduating class of 30. Seeing that many people in the coliseum surprised me. I didn’t think there’d be that many people,” said Carter, a graduate of Oak Grove High School.

Peer leaders and Prep staff cheered their freshmen students on and participated in cheers and chants to get the freshmen pumped up about being a Warhawk.

“They do have a good attitude because they are excited to start college and all the different things that come with being a Warhawk,” said Kelsie Welch, a Peer Leader and sophomore pre-pharmacy major.