NPC sororities hold fall rush for new members

The season has struck once again where students have an opportunity to be recruited into a ULM sorority. The participants go through a three night, four day process called rush to meet the different chapters of the National Panhellenic Council.

“I’ve been hearing the hype of sororities all through high school, and it’s finally my time,” said Hannah Hastie, a freshman pre-nursing major. “I’m so excited, and I’m looking forward to the great opportunity to meet girls and make lasting relationships.”

Rush begins with the first night when participants learn what each sorority represents. It’s a chance for participants to get to know the chapter girls individually.

On the second night, the roles are reversed and the sorority focuses on getting to know the participants. The most important night is the last one because the chapters are interested in who has decided to become a part of their sisterhood.

“Recruitment is the most exciting experience because it’s a weekend of meeting new people who will become part of your sisterhood,” said Emily Mumme, vice president of Alpha Rho. “Some of the girls you get to know will even become your best friends.”

Each chapter promotes its sorority by introducing different philanthropies, mascots, colors, letters and t-shirts.  After the participants choose which path they want to take and/or the sororities choose which participants they want for their sorority, everyone presents their bids on the fourth day.

Bid day is a huge event for the National Panhellenic Council to discover their new members. The participants are told which sorority chose them. It is a celebration and a surprise for everyone who attends the “big reveal.”

Many see benefits to being in a sorority such as lifelong friendships, philanthropic activities, socials and many other exciting opportunities found throughout Greek Life.

Vice President of Student Affairs Amanda May said, “Even though they are all different organizations, they all have the same purpose on ULM’s campus, which is to provide ULM students with a positive experience while in school.”

The Interfraternity Council and National Pan-Hellenic  Council will offer recruitment within the upcoming weeks.