PIKE sets international record with 14th best chapter award

The ULM chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity snagged its 14th consecutive Smythe Award at the international Pi Kappa Alpha convention held in Denver, Colo. This feat is currently the longest winning streak in PIKE history.

According to Phillip Hebert, president of the ULM chapter of PIKE, the Smythe award is the most prestigious award given in the fraternity and is named after its founder, Robert Adger Smythe.

“Once your chapter’s name is called to receive the award, and you’re standing beside the Pike Chapters from Florida State, Virginia Tech, and others, the feeling is incredible and it makes you come back to ULM and work even harder for next year,” said Hebert about winning the award.

The basis of the award is judged on 16 areas, one of which is alumni relations.

According to Hebert and Tommy Walpole, the fraternity’s current university relations and finance advisor, PIKE prides itself on its strong relations with its alumni.

“We are very fortunate to have alumni who support the fraternity by giving time and money,” said Walpole. “This support can be directly linked to the great time each member had while an undergraduate in the chapter and the pride they have in the successes of Pike today.”

At the convention, the ULM chapter also received the Raymond L. Orians Award for Chapter Excellence, which is the chapter’s 26th consecutive Orian’s Award.

“We pride ourselves on doing a great job in multiple areas so you can excel academically, win athletically, be involved on campus and in the community and have a great time doing it all,” said Hebert.