Natatorium membership spikes following Olympics

The 30th edition of the Summer Olympics may be over, but the flame of competition still burns around campus. Inspired by the gold-medal performances of the U.S. swim team, many are flocking to one of ULM’s famous landmarks: the Lake C. Oxford Natatorium.

In the month of July, the nat saw between five and 10 new memberships a week. LA Gold, a local youth swim team, has also seen an increase in participation from kids looking to emulate their Olympic heroes.

“We’ve gone from 20 swimmers to 50 since the Olympics,” LA Gold assistant coach Madison Raborn said.

Raborn, a senior at ULM in kinesiology, is thankful for the interest created by the games.

“It really highlights the sport and shows kids they can do something else other than play video games,” Raborn said.

This renewed enthusiasm is not lost on aquatics Director Caleb Read.

“The Olympics is a common theme we’ve heard among new members,” Read said. “People have been watching and want to get in the water and try it out.”

The nat gives fitness enthusiasts another option during the dog days of summer. It offers patrons the best of both worlds; a fully equipped aquatic center and a place to escape the oppressive Louisiana heat. You can find students and teachers alike enjoying the pool, including theater professor Kyle Zimmerman and his six-year old son, Brandon.

“It gives my son and I something active we can do, especially on hot days,” Zimmerman said.  The father-son duo use the facility at least once a week, where they enjoy shooting baskets in the pool and jumping off the diving boards.

The diving boards are very popular and tend to bring out the inner six-year old in everyone.  Other amenities include lap swimming, water aerobics and swimming lessons. Membership is open to all ULM students and is included in the university’s student fees.

The  nat also works with ULM to provide students with employment opportunities and safety training through the Red Cross.

“Ninety percent of our lifeguards are ULM students,” Read said.

After closing in July of 2011, the natatorium reopened in January as a joint venture between ULM and the YMCA. In that time, the university administration and YMCA staff have worked together to renovate the facility.

Read described the partnership as a “good working relationship” that will only improve. Students voted down a referendum in April to turn the nat into an event center, ensuring it’s future as a community institution.

“We’ve seen a ton of community support since we reopened,” Read said. “That support helps us stay open.”

The natatorium is open during three time blocks Monday through Friday; 6-9:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and 3:30-8 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. On Sunday the Nat is closed.