Pharmacy association awards ULM teacher

Roxie Stewart, assistant professor of pharmacy practice at ULM, won the Bowl of Hygeia award at the Louisiana Pharmacists Association’s Annual Conference.

The award is based on outstanding qualities such as community service and leadership.

“I am extremely honored to have received this award. I have had some great mentors in my career who have shown me the importance of giving back to the profession and to the community,” said Stewart. “Like many pharmacists, I love our profession and love helping others. To have been recognized and nominated by my peers for something that many pharmacists do on a daily basis is truly humbling.”

Since 1958, The Bowl of Hygeia award has been linked with the pharmacy profession. It is considered the most honored award to achieve in the field.

“Dr. Stewart is an outstanding example of the type of faculty who teach, mentor and perform research in the College of Pharmacy. I am very gratified that Dr. Stewart’s efforts over the past several years are being recognized,” said Dr. Benny Blaylock, dean of the College of Pharmacy.  “Her service and leadership in Louisiana make her a most deserving recipient of the Bowl of Hygeia award.”

Not only is Stewart an award-winning professor that her students look up to and learn from, but she is also a mentor that inspires beyond the classroom.

“The Bowl of Hygeia Award is a distinction only reserved for the best; to me, Dr. Stewart encompasses all aspects of this prestigious award,” said Marissa Israel, a second year pharmacy student. “Seeing how Dr. Stewart goes out of her way to help others inspires me to become a compassionate and caring pharmacist and mentor.”