Warhawks ready to face Razorbacks

After sitting out week one with a bye, ULM opens the 2012 season on the road in Little Rock against tenth-ranked Arkansas.

The Warhawks wrapped up preseason practice on Saturday and are transitioning into game week preparations. With an intense fall camp behind them, this group is excited about what lies ahead Saturday night.

“We’re tired of beating up on each other. It’s time to beat up on somebody else,” linebacker Cameron Blakes said. “We’re ready to go out and eat.”

The team is hungry to take the field, and it’s former Razorback Austin Moss who has the biggest appetite on the roster. Moss spent two years at Arkansas before transferring to the junior college level in 2011. He signed with ULM in the spring.

“Getting a chance to play them [Arkansas] was one of the reasons I came to ULM,” Moss said. “I’m coming out hitting.”

The Razorbacks made headlines this offseason when head coach Bobby Petrino was fired after lying to school officials about an inappropriate relationship with a football staffer. Former assistant John L. Smith was hired in April to be the interim coach.

Despite the transition, ULM head coach Todd Berry doesn’t anticipate many changes to the Hogs’ high-powered offense. “They’ve got depth at key positions, which means they can continue to roll guys out there,” Berry said of Arkansas’ roster.

Tyler Wilson, a Heisman Trophy candidate, runs the show from the quarterback position. Wilson will throw early and often, especially to wide receiver Cobi Hamilton. The return of Knile Davis will give the Razorbacks a threat out of the backfield. The junior running back led the SEC in rushing in 2010. Davis was out last season with an broken ankle.

For the Warhawks to have a chance, it will require a herculean effort from the defense. “They’re very explosive and have a lot of weapons,” defensive coordinator Troy Reffett said. “Nobody slowed them down last year.”

ULM has grown accustomed to early season matchups with ranked opponents, but unlike previous years, there’s a sense of urgency inside the program to be competitive. Showing up to collect a paycheck is no longer an option for Berry’s team.

“These aren’t preseason games or warm-ups for conference play,” Berry said. “We’re going to do everything we can to win.”

Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m., and will be broadcast live on ESPNU.