Workshop explores cultural diversity

A workshop to inform students about different ways to cope with prejudice, modern racism and stereotypes was held Tuesday by the ULM Counseling Center.

Traci Boyett, a counselor at the ULM Counseling Center, discussed the various factors of cultural diversity.

Prejudice prevails to this day because people tend to see members of another group as having different values than our own, according to Boyett.

Boyett explained in her lecture that different forms of prejudice include stereotypes, prejudice, assumption, discrimination and scapegoating. These are negative ideas about a person used to make others feel as if they are not good enough.

Students can easily say things and not realize the consequences of who it may harm. This has an effect on some people where they feel that they should isolate themselves, according to Boyett.

“This made me realize that common, funny jokes can be very offensive to others,” said Daniel Koury, a freshman pre-pharmacy major.

The students who attended the workshop participated by taking a prejudice quiz, which explained interesting facts about prejudice that people endure daily.

According to Boyett, people suffering from prejudice will often experience depression, anxiety and aggression. Stereotypes among students can often bring others down and allow them to live out a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Some suggested ways of coping with prejudice include raising self-esteem among others who feel targeted and to be prepared for situations where prejudice will be encountered.

For more information about these issues, or if you are battling with prejudice issues, contact the ULM Counseling Center at 342-5220.