Warhawk Dash sprints to success

Over the hills and through the mud, runners raced their way to the finish line at the Warhawk Dash early Saturday morning.

While only 70 participated in the 5k last year, a total of 500
people signed up to run the Dash. Even more potential runners wanted to join in on the action, but the
number of runners allowed to sign up was cut off at 500.

The racers had to maneuver their way through an obstacle course consisting of ponds, logs, hills, mud, tires, wooden barriers and more.

Nathan Davis, 26, came in first place.

“I just wanted to do something fun. I’ve never done an obstacle race before. I thought, ‘why not?’” said Davis after winning.

Not only were there awards for the fastest runners, but also best
costume.

People dressed as fairies, brides and grooms, bananas and there was even a man in a tutu.

Seeing a grown man in a tutu or a fairy jumping and running about
always adds a little something
extra to the normally routine events of a race.

There was a large dirt hole filled with muddy water awaiting each runner at the finish line. It was a welcoming way of cooling off and congratulating each runner that made it to the end.

“It was a blast. I want my whole entire family to do it next year,” said Kylie Stracener, a mass
communication senior. As for training for the event, Stracener said she did not do any physical training, just mentally prepared herself.

Over all, the race brought the community together and raised money in a fun way.

The race was put on by SGA, and the proceeds of the event will go to the Wounded Warrior project.

“We expect to raise more than double the amount of money raised last year, which was about $6,000,” said Calvin Stafford, SGA president.