Winning brotherhood: Pike routinely honored among best fraternities

The ULM Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity has made headlines recently by winning an international award for chapter excellence.

The chapter has proved itself in four core areas, which Pike considers to be the pillars of success.

Scholars, leaders, athletes, gentlemen. According to Phillip Hebert, chapter president, this is what all Pike members strive to be.

“There’s not just one thing we concentrate on every year. We try to focus on several things as part of a whole,” Hebert said. “We pride ourselves on balance.”

Hebert’s theory appears to be working as the ULM Pikes have been recognized internationally for having an average GPA of 3.08. They have members in SGA, CAB, and Prep Staff, and they even claim the captain of the Warhawk football team.

They have won the All University Athletic Championship the last four years in a row. Not to mention, they average 5,000 hours of community service per year.

These achievements have added to the chapter’s success both nationally, and internationally. But the biggest impact has been on Monroe.

Tommy Walpole, the university Relations finance advisor for the ULM Pike chapter, said that the chapter has been developing relationships in the community for over 20 years now.

“We’ve established a reputation with organizations in town as being a reliable source of community service, so now they call us when they need help,” Walpole said.

The ULM Pikes donate their time to organizations such as Louisiana Wild Life and Fisheries, CenturyLink, the YMCA and the Ronald McDonald House. They also help out with seasonal activities including the Monroe First United Methodist Church pumpkin patch and the Crew of Janus Mardi Gras parade.

In relation to the university, Hebert said that Pikes has 100 percent campus involvement. “We’re not just typical frat boys. We try to encourage every member to join something else, and we also encourage the other campus organizations,” Hebert said.

The Pikes also volunteer for the ULM volleyball team, and interact regularly with the ULM sororities.

Walpole contributes the success of the chapter to a strong alumni base. “We have eight alumni who serve on the advisory board and give their time weekly,” Walpole said. “Our alumni association is a central piece in the backbone of the chapter.”

According to Walpole, the alumni advisory board oversees the operations of the chapter and tries to educate Pike members to create a positive image for the fraternity, as well as to enhance the experience of each individual member.

Hebert said, “We expect our guys to represent themselves with class in every situation. It’s not just about wearing the PIKE letters. They should be gentlemen in all that they do.”

Recent ULM alum Lester Luparello IV said being a member of Pike prepared him to open his own business, Lester’s Seafood. “Being active on campus through PIKE really opened a lot of doors for me because I got to know people in town,” Luparello said.

The ULM Pike fraternity hopes to increase their membership by at least 25 guys this year. As rush week progresses, they will be holding various activities for all who are interested in joining the chapter.