Fallacy on fourth-down: Berry regrets taking field goal in overtime

PATRYK MOLCZAN

ULM’s attempt at making it two in a row against the SEC fell short in overtime on Saturday as Auburn escaped Jordan-Hare Stadium with a 31-28 win.

The Warhawks (1-1) started the overtime on offense, but were forced to settle for a 37-yard Justin Manton field goal that was blocked. The Tigers (1-2) quickly went to work, setting up a 35-yard kick that Cody Parkey nailed for the win.

Despite conventional wisdom, the decision to kick on 4th and 5th in overtime is one that Todd Berry regrets.“At the end of the game, I don’t take the field goal, I go for it,” Berry said. “This one’s my fault. Error in judgement.”

The game began at a furious pace with both teams scoring on their opening possessions. Kolton Browning had another solid outing, completing 28 of 46 for 237 yards and three touchdowns, two of which went to tight end Harley Scioneaux. Jyruss Edwards led the way on the ground with 17 carries for 76 yards.

After a 33 yard touchdown pass from Kiehl Frazier to Sammie Coates ended the half, Auburn drove 65 yards on the opening drive of the third quarter to build a 28-14 lead. Reminiscent of last week in Little Rock, ULM came to life in the fourth quarter, holding the Tigers scoreless and tying the game with 1:18 left in regulation.

The defense made adjustments in the second half,  but they struggled to tackle and stop the run all day. Rob’Donovan Lewis led the team with nine tackles. Cordero Smith and Cameron Blakes also combined for six tackles, and Mitch Lane came up with an interception and recovered a fumble.

“We just over-pursued mainly,” linebacker Blakes said. “They gashed us for big [runs] and you just can’t have that.”

The Tigers gashed ULM for 255 yards rushing and produced 418 yards of total offense. The Warhawks continued their aggressive playcalling on 4th down, picking up three of four attempts. On the season, ULM is now 9-for-11 on 4th down conversions this season.

ULM returns to action next Friday night in the home opener against the Baylor Bears.