Minor corrections will lead to major year

Coming in to the season if you asked anyone where ULM’s football team was strongest you’d hear, “the defense.”

That’s not the case as the team heads in its fourth week after continuously being praised nationally for  the offense. Where has the defense gone?

The Warhawks will need the defense Saturday in New Orleans to defeat Tulane in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. In the first three games ,ULM’s run defense has been solid, but opposing wide outs seem keep being the opponent’s answer.

The defense has given up nine passing touchdowns and it has been too easy for offenses to connect on the long ball. The Warhawks have given up at least 10 plays of 20+ yards that are crucial in these close games.

When ULM plays man coverage there is often no help over the top and teams dial up skinny post and fade routes. This allows speedy recievers to find separation against defensive backs.

The Warhawks defend short crossing routes and quick outs very well. When passes are throw underneath, our defensive backs have been quick to jump routes. A reason why four different players have an interception so far, with DaCorris Harris leading with two.

It’s over the top coverage that needs attention. The Warhawks have to bring more pressure by switching in more blitz packages.

There have only been two sacks so far this season and its allowed quarterbacks too much time in the pocket to find an open man. By the fourth quarter quarterbacks confidence levels have skyrocketed and their timing is down.

We need more passes batted down at the line and from the secondary to throw off that timing. The defense has to start slamming quarterbacks on the turf the way they did Razorbacks’ Tyler Wilson.

ULM has to continue to gang tackle, wrap up every play and start every drive like nobody has scored. In all three games Warhawks have scored first, but have yet to hold on to a lead.

The most depressing moments this year have come when the Warhawks look to potentially have a sack, then the quarterback somehow gets free and look, another big play for the offense.

Nobody likes looking back and saying, what if, especially Coach Berry and company. Just like no one wants to hear the words moral victory again this year. The Warhawks will take these two close losses and remember them for getting the ‘Hawks battle tested for Sun Belt play.

It’s only small things that are keeping ULM from closing out these early. The rest of the season should get interesting.