Maroon tops White 17-7 in spring football game

Maroon tops White 17-7  in spring football game

The Maroon team came away with a 17-7 victory over the White team in the annual Maroon and White spring football game on Saturday at Malone Stadium.

Head coach Todd Berry used the game as an opportunity to evaluate the younger players on the roster, holding many of his starters out of the game.

“We had a lot of guys that didn’t play because I’ve seen them play enough and, quite honestly, I needed to see how some other guys were going to handle some things,” Berry said.

With Browning on the sidelines, sophomores Brayle Brown and Earnest Carrington got the chance to take the reins of the offense.

It was Carrington who stood out, connecting with Rashon Ceaser on a 65-yard touchdown bomb in the second quarter.

“I love throwing deep balls,” Carrington said. “That’s my forte.”

The White team scored its only touchdown on a 34-yard interception return by cornerback Rob’Donovan Lewis.

The Maroon team also scored on a four-yard Nathan Meadors touchdown run and a 40-yard field goal from Justin Manton.

SCIONEAUX CLEARED TO RETURN

The Warhawks received a welcomed surprise when sophomore tight end Harley Scioneaux announced he has been cleared to return to the team.

Scioneaux has been battling cancer all semester, undergoing treatment in his hometown of Reserve, La.

“I had gone down there thinking I was going to have to have surgery so once I got the news I wanted to show up at practice and surprise them,” Scioneaux said.

Scioneaux’s teammates have been holding fundraisers since January to help raise money for his medical bills, including selling #TeamCNO bracelets at the Maroon and White game.

“Harley has been a true inspiration to not just the team but to an old 52-year old coach,” Berry said. “I couldn’t have handled this as well as he has.”