Fowled out: Late surge not enough, ULM bested by FAU 8-6

Friday night’s game was set up to be one of the best pitching duels in the Sun Belt Conference this season. Cale Wine (3-4, 2.08) took the mound for the Warhawks (11-19, 1-9) facing #25 Florida Atlantic University’s Austin Gomber (3-1, 1.75).

The final outcome was nowhere near the expected result as the game ended with 14 combined runs and an 8-6 win for the Owls (21-9, 8-2).

Wine cruised through the early innings not allowing a run until the fourth. FAU had back-to-back hits in the inning followed by a walk, which loaded the bases. A two RBI-double followed, giving the Owls the early 2-0 lead.

The Warhawks didn’t have any life offensively until the fifth inning. Gomber retired 14 straight batters until Dalton Herrington came up with two outs and sent a successful bunt down the third base line.

“Both starters were really good early then the hitters made adjustments,” said Head Coach Jeff Schexnaider.

Herrington’s bunt-single gave the ULM bats life. Kodie Tidwell had an RBI single to right field followed by a two RBI double from Jeff Fuller. The score was tied at three after the fifth inning.

“I like to be aggressive early in the count, getting fastballs and luckily they were giving me those tonight,” said Herrington. “When I got on base, the guys behind me did a good job of getting me around.”

FAU countered with four runs of its own in the sixth inning. Wine found himself in a tough situation early in the inning. The bases were loaded with no outs when a double to left field and an infield single signaled the end of Wine’s day at the mound.

Reliever Devin Malone replaced Wine. Malone kept ULM in the game pitching three and two-thirds innings, only giving up one hit and one run.

ULM gave the hometown fans a reason to stay in their seats as they made a push in the ninth inning.

Herrington led off the inning with a screaming line drive single to right field. He was followed by a walk and three consecutive outs, one of which was Fuller who had 3 RBI’s on the night.

“It felt good to contribute a little bit,” Fuller said. “I kind of wish I could have contributed a little more there in the end. We have to stay confident and stick together and relax and play the kind of baseball we are capable of playing.”

The Warhawks return to the diamond on Tuesday for a one-game matchup with McNeese State before traveling to Miami to face FIU in a three-game series beginning on Friday.