Hanna’s Hangout: College town bucket list

Hanna Singh

Shop Local 

Okay, I know as college students, our most convenient shopping technique is Amazon. But when it comes to finding something unique, there’s nothing like shopping local. Wouldn’t you know, Ouachita Parish has no shortage of shopping stops downtown. 

If you’re in the mood for a bargain, local antique and thrift shopping is perfect. You can start with Antique Alley, the hot spot for antique and vintage shopping. Several stores hold unique and timeless items, such as the Cotton Port Antique Mall. On the block, you’ll see many boutiques with clothes, jewelry and accessories, including Just Peachy and Eleven26. 

After a nice day of shopping till you drop, you can eat at Jac’s Craft Smokehouse on the end of the street.  

If you’re a sustainable shopper, there’s more than one thrift shop to be explored. Try First West or Rolling Hills thrift shops for gently used items. If you’re just in the mood for that retro look, you can check out Good Daze  on Art Alley for adorable vintage style outfits and accessories.  

My personal shopping dream day would include a stop at Cara’s Boutique for something cute to wear. Next, I’d check out the Shoppes on the Alley for any cute locally made jewelry. To wrap up the day, I would dine on the water at Trapp’s enjoying some seafood nachos and a cherry limeade. 

No matter what you’re shopping for, there’s always lots to find locally. Before you start scrolling through Amazon or Shein when you need a new skirt or a pair of shoes, check out all that your college town has to offer. You may find that you can get all you need for a better price.

If you have a topic or question that you would like to see in Hanna’s Hangout, email me at [email protected].