University stands firm on water ski punishment

University officials are sticking by their initial punishment of two national champion water skiers by suspending them without a scholarship for the spring semester, according to a statement by Laura Woodard, director of Media Relations.

Skiers Zack Worden and Claudio Kostenberger, who finished first and second respectively in the jump competition at nationals, were suspended from the team for breaking a midnight curfew while celebrating the win with parents in Baton Rouge.

“Water Ski Team Coach Treina Landrum, just like any other coach at ULM, has the right to award and rescind scholarships—and any other privileges associated with the team—at any time,” Woodard said in a statement.

The players will lose their spring scholarships, be denied access to any team activities including bayou access to practice and face a review board in may to consider being reinstated on a probationary basis, according to Worden’s sanction letter.

So while the official statement says “suspended,” the skiers said losing all team privileges is a dismissal.

Center in this controversy is assistant coach Heather Raley. Worden and Kostenberger said Raley gave them permission to be out past curfew.

Woodard sharply disputed that claim saying, “We have determined that no such permission…was given. This statement is simply untrue.”

Worden maintains he was given permission to be out with his parents celebrating his accomplishments at nationals.

“[Raley] said it wasn’t a big deal if we went out, as long as we didn’t get arrested or get a DUI,” Wordon said.

Worden’s father, John, said while he didn’t hear Raley give permission with his own ears “that was the understanding that was prevalent in the lobby among the team and parents.”

Raley did not respond to multiple attempts by the Hawkeye to contact her.

Worden’s father compared his son’s punishment to LSU quarterback Jordan Jefferson, who allegedly broke curfew, engaged in a bar fight, injured a man’s spine and was arrested on charges of battery. He served a four game suspension, and retained his scholarship.

“I have a serious problem with someone telling me my 20-yearold son can’t celebrate his national championship with his parents,” John Worden said. “They didn’t get in a fight. They didn’t get arrested. They just missed curfew.”

Woodard said the players were suspended because of “multiple violations,” though she would not elaborate as to the nature of the violations, citing student privacy.

Worden said the only violation he and Kostenberger have had was a streaking incident in Baton Rouge during the summer. His sanction letter only mentions a violation in mid summer, which coincides with the streaking incident.

Landrum denied comment on the situation.

Woodard said all skiers sign an honor code. An excerpt from the policy says: “Scholarships, team membership and skiing privileges are earned by fulfilling requirements, meeting responsibilities and following rules.”

Worden and Kostenberger said “following the rules” is nearly impossible since they change as Landrum sees fit, as do the punishments.

Because the ski team is technically a club sport, the team falls under Student Life, not Athletics.

Wayne Brumfield, vice president of Student Life and Leadership, refused requests for an interview.

The skiers’ suspensions do not take effect until the spring after national championship celebrations are done.

John Worden said, “[Landrum] won’t pay Zach in the spring, but she’ll ride him to a national championship? Come on.”