Don King would be proud

Ladies and Gentlemen: Welcome to the second round of the 2012 Presidential Debate. In the red corner, weighing in 195 pounds, standing at 6 foot 3 inches, the Republican challenger Mitt Romney. In the blue corner, weighing in at 176 pounds, standing at 6 foot 1 inch, the defending champion Barack Obama.

The two competitors met last week to finish what they started a few weeks ago. The first round went to the challenger, Romney. Obama just wasn’t prepared at all. But last week it looked like he was more prepped.

CNN’s Candy Crowley refereed the bout. Not long after the bell rang Obama came out of his corner swinging.

The two brought into being a new kind of presidential debate. One where it’s acceptable to circle each other like a pair of feral cats. One where it’s okay for the moderator to take off the striped shirt, pick up a chair and smack the challenger.

As I watched the debate unfold, I wondered if it wasn’t enough that the two men looked like actors playing the role of president. Did they also have to act like a couple of steroid induced narcissists? Wait, who’s acting?

But I have to say that I did enjoy watching a boxing-turned-MMA style debate, well worth its weight in pay-per-view funds, for free. I hadn’t seen a good match like that since I watched Andre Ward beat Carl Froch in late 2011.

It was interesting to see Romney’s hair never lose its shape throughout the entire match.

Both candidates got in some good jabs here and there. Romney on the energy policies and the economy. Obama on women’s pay and comparing Romney to George Bush.

It was clear from watching that both of them were well trained in the art of dodging punches. Don King would be proud.

However, there is one punch Romney didn’t dodge, which has been a heyday for social media: Binders full of women.

I wonder if Romney knew he was playing a sad game of “Why are you hitting yourself?” when he made that remark.

While I think the media has blown it out of proportion, I have been enjoying some of the memes.

My favorite one says, “The only people who have binders full of women are serial killers and Mitt Romney.”

In the long run, I don’t think the binders remark will hurt Romney. It will however provide excellent fodder for the late night talk shows and bar conversations.

However, what was hurt the most last Tuesday was my impression of presidential debates. I’d hoped that at some point in the back and forth someone would have brought up the Federal Reserve.

Not once when talking about the economy did anyone mention the FED. Nor did they mention how its artificial tampering with the markets, loan rates and currency inflation have an effect on the economy.

They need to start asking the right questions. Instead of asking what percent should the income tax be set on, ask why is there an income tax at all. But I digress.

The masochist in me wants to watch the last match. I don’t know why I do this to myself.

I kind of feel like an ancient Roman, waiting to see the self-destruction of the gladiatorial games or for a more modern reference, a middle-aged housewife waiting to watch Honey Boo Boo.

Who knows? Maybe Bob Schieffer will break the mold and let the two pick which weapon they want to use. If I were Romney, I’d go for the flail. He’ll need it if Obama picks the sword like I think he will.