Lower your voice then maybe you’ll be heard

Everyone wants to be right. And if not, they at least want to be heard.

Unfortunately, we live in a society where people often find they need to “yell” in order to be heard.

It’s unfortunate. And contrary to popular belief, “yelling” is not a way to be heard, nor does it successfully get your point across.

In reality, “yelling” does nothing but create tension and inadvertently—more yelling.

Take for instance television show Maury Povich. We’ve all seen, or at least heard of, the talk show.

On the show, participants deny rumors of infidelities. But they don’t do it by simply stating it. Oh no, that’ll be too hard. Instead, they’ll yell obscenities to the person sitting directly next to them. And in return, the person being yelled at does what—yells back.

The person denying the rumors could be telling the truth and have a valid point in their argument. But after getting loud and belligerent, their point does nothing but get lost in the mix.

Even in courtrooms, lawyers tend to raise their voices when questioning the witness. And most of the time, the witness—feeling pressured and as if they aren’t being heard—will raise their voice in return.

Believe me, I understand the struggle of maintaining composure when being lied on, lied to or just being told some ridiculous nonsense, but I also understand the importance of staying calm.

I’ve witnessed firsthand conflict, which could’ve been resolved with a simple conversation, get out of hand because the wrong tone of voice was used.

Instead of letting someone upset you to the point where you lose your temper, sit back and ask a question—is this person worth your anger?

If not, walk away. If so, walk away and let them cool off.

Either way, don’t yell. It solves nothing.