All deserve freedom from indoor second-hand smoke

There are certain things you can expect from spending an evening at a bar, casino or club.

Ladies, you’ll probably come home with your hair matted with sweat and your makeup, which looked Kim Kardashian perfect when you left, looking like Bozo the clown river danced on your face by the time you finally crash land on your couch at 3:30 a.m.

Fellas, you will more than likely spend a majority of the night in a beer soaked shirt because the girl next to you couldn’t twerk and hold a bottle at the same time.

She got loose on the dance floor and all over your new polo, too.

It’s all part of the experience you sign up for when you neglect to study for your accounting test and full heartedly participate in “Thirsty Thursday”.

The only thing grosser than all of that is ending the night with a dry mouth, burning eyes and realizing that you are covered in the stench of smoke from a cigarette you didn’t even smoke.

Senator Rovert Marionneaux introduced a smoking ban in 2006 and has recently to broaden the law to prohibit smoking in bars and casinos.

Marionneaux and supporters argue that a total ban is necessary to protect the health and rights of bartenders, customers, musicians and others that work in these establishments that are exposed to second hand smoke.

As a non-smoker and a citizen of the unhealthiest state in the U.S., I agree that this would be a move to protect the people of Louisiana and better promote healthy habits.

Smoking is a choice made by each individual. Just because Mr. Pack-a-Day standing behind me wants to expose himself to the health risk and awful smell, doesn’t mean I welcome the secondhand smoke with open lungs.

People have a right to enjoy bars, casinos and the entertainment they provide without putting themselves at risk.

Many business owners argue that enforcing this ban will lead to a loss for them, resulting in reduced tax revenues for the state.

In fact, Wade Duty of the Louisiana Casino Association says the ban will cause in-state gamblers to migrate to Mississippi, Oklahoma and other neighboring states that allow smoking, resulting in a total loss of $79 million per year in tax revenues.

But, Jennifer Haneline, regional coordinator for The Louisiana Campaign for Tobacco-Free Living, finds the ban may actually be helpful in increasing both tax and business revenues.

She claims about 80 percent of our state’s population doesn’t smoke, so clearing the air in bars and casinos would make it a more inviting place for these non-smokers.

Just as people have the right to not smoke and be protected from second hand exposure, others have the right to smoke their cigarettes without the government breathing down their necks.

I propose that bars and casinos ban smoking within the facility, but be required to have a “smoking station” outside to accommodate those that do smoke.

This way, businesses can operate without fear of losing revenue and their jobs, while opening their establishment to the non-smokers that typically wouldn’t spend time in these places.

This solution could even increase tax revenues, providing a little relief for the already tight budget our state operates under.

So, go ahead and enjoy “Thirsty Thursday”.

I hope you feel like a champ when you roll into class, covered in grime and running on three hours of sleep.

You may look like a circus employee and smell like a sweat and beer cocktail, but at least you won’t reek of smoke.