Battle of the sexes: Are women still limited by their gender? (Female Take)

Voting rights, equal pay and the always popular “I have to squeeze a baby out of there?” are all pretty common points when it comes to arguing that women have a tougher life than men.

Though those are all relevant arguments, it’s the daily life and struggles of women that should be enough to make any man proud of his anatomy.

Despite getting up at 7:00 a.m. for a 9:30 class, we’ll always run out of time getting dressed and we’ll have to choose between makeup and hair.

Every girl will reason “I don’t need makeup anyway,” and then have all their reasoning shot down when they walk into class and the guy next to them asks “Are you feeling alright? You look sick.”

We’ll spend the rest of the day annoyed after our self-esteem has been flushed down the toilet.

We’ll be whistled at like animals as we walk past a group of guys, be told we can’t go to the restroom in the middle of class when it’s a legitimate mother nature emergency, then be asked by our guy friends “What’s your problem?” when we’ve finally had enough and just completely give up.

All that’s left is to eat our sorrows away. We’ll immediately regret consuming an entire pint of cookie dough ice cream and curse ourselves, promising that tomorrow will be different, even though it probably won’t.

Though it may seem silly, it’s the little things that add up to making women feel like life will always be harder for us.

Obstacles like these paired with sandwich/kitchen jokes and zero understanding from our male counterparts is what young womanhood is made of.

Then, we’ll leave college and be greeted by the inequality of the workforce and meet people that will insist we belong at home, cooking and cleaning.

Though it may not seem like it now, we’ll eventually receive equal pay just like we eventually were given the right to work, vote and be contributing members of society.

But, until we’re taken seriously, none of it will mean anything.

A female CEO can only be successful if male employees respect her word. The first woman to be president can only change the country if men are willing to credit real progress to a woman. A husband can only hope his children will respect their parents if he respects his wife first.

The start to getting the rights and equality we deserve is to first demand respect.

Unfortunately, that’s the hardest thing for women to achieve, making the lives of everyday women harder than any man could imagine.

Men are given what women are expected to earn, even when we can still be breadwinners for our families while doing so much more.

We are strong enough to birth children, gentle enough to raise them, driven enough to become the best at any career we choose and still caring enough to cook and clean for the people we love after a long day is over. That’s why women are the closest thing to superheroes the world will ever see.

If men are birthed by women, raised by women and vowing to spend the rest of their lives with a woman, shouldn’t we be getting more respect for the roles we play?