Battle of the students: To speak or not to speak in class (pt.2)

You wake up early in the morning to get to class, only to get there and listen to another student comment on everything the professor is saying.

This is not uncommon, and almost every student has this type of person in a class. You may even be one of them.

While it may be annoying to hear your classmates constantly asking questions or always adding something to what the professor says, why do you care to begin with?

I mean, aren’t they supposed to be speaking up and asking questions? It’s just as annoying to hear people complain about these types of students. 

Truth be told, I don’t speak in class as often as I should, but what’s the point of despising those who do? 

As much as we pay for classes, you would think every hand would be raised and people would be speaking over each other to answer questions and participate in class discussions.

You might say, “I paid for this class, but I’m only taking it because I have to.” 

Let’s take this time to give you a round of applause along with the hundreds of other students who claim that they are here to do the same.

If that’s the reason you’re taking a class, that’s more reason for you to hush and let the people who are actually interested in the subject talk. 

It’s funny how you grumble about your classmates saying too much in class, when they’re the very ones who will most likely succeed in their pursuits after college.

The person in class you unreasonably scorn could one day be the President of the United States, or the president of the university that your child chooses to attend when he or she grows up. 

That person could also be a police officer that pulls you over for speeding. They may even be your manager one day. 

For all you know, they could be the surgeon that someday gives you an operation or brings your newborn child into the world.

The points is that you don’t know who someone will be or what they will become. 

It’s hard to see the bigger picture while we’re in college. But one of these days we will leave this bubble called ULM, and some of us will find that the very people we talked about and shunned are the very ones we will need help from.

So, think twice next time you see a hand raised in class. You may not care what the professor is saying, and that’s okay. 

If you’re there just to get a passing grade, that’s okay too. Put your head down on the desk and go to sleep for all anyone cares. 

But don’t look down on those who are in the classroom doing what they’re supposed to be doing: learning.

Instead of wasting energy complaining about someone’s classroom habits, use that same energy to network with other students and build up connections that will be useful after you graduate. 

Raise your hand and ask questions so you can actually understand what your teacher is talking about.

And if that just feels like too much effort to you, keep your face planted in your phone. That’s where it always seems to be during class anyway.