Tejal’s Last Words: Platonic relationships persevere

For every guy that claims girls are confusing, is a girl that will object and say they aren’t and that guys just need to pay more attention.

Those girls are liars. Lying liars that sit on a throne of (you guessed it) lies.

It’s not that we mean to be annoyingly indecisive or complex; we just don’t know what we want or when we want it. We don’t know if we’re hot, cold, full or hungry and for some reason, we assume guys go through the same struggles and that they should just understand.

To simplify it even more, it’s not that we’re particularly complex, just moody. And that’s probably why the only living things on Earth that can ever understand and truly enjoy the company of women are cats and other women.

But every once in a while, you meet a guy that totally gets it. He understands that a closet full of clothes means you have nothing to wear or that just because you don’t look fat doesn’t mean you don’t feel fat.

That’s the kind of guy you keep around. Hold onto him, watch romantic comedies, eat ice cream together and never let go.

But maybe holding onto someone that understands you and makes you happy just means being friends.

Yes, I’m saying the friend zone is completely real and worthy of use. There are some people you can’t risk losing by starting a relationship.

A mutual friend-zoning is pretty easy for the two of you to understand. You hang out, tell secrets, watch movies, cuddle and pretty much spend all your time together without any romantic obligations to make things awkward.

But all your friends on the outside looking in may not be so understanding of the situation.

They’re constantly asking, “Why don’t you guys just date?” or “When are you going to admit you like each other?”

A strong male-female friendship is hard to understand.

Not because it’s weird or wrong, but because good relationships are hard to come by.  Every time you scroll through your home page, there’s some couple that went on two dates before deciding they were in love and making it “Facebook official.”

The people closest to you know this and can’t seem to understand why you wouldn’t claim true love when it’s standing right in front of you, holding a jar of cake frosting and Kleenex to ease your pain after yet another awful date.

They’re right. It is true love.

But it’s the kind of love you look to for comfort and joy rather than romance. It’s the kind of love you want to feel after having your heart broken, when a bad day finally comes to an end or when you need someone to reluctantly come sit with you while you get your nails done.

Your friends aren’t meaning to annoy you by pushing a relationship; they just want to see you with someone that makes you happy.

But there are more ways a guy can make you happy than kissing you or putting a ring on your finger.

Your other friends may not understand, but I can pretty much guarantee you have one friend that you won’t have to explain to at all. He’ll just know.

Sometimes the bond between you and your guy best friend is stronger than any relationship you’ll ever have.

That doesn’t mean you should date, get married and live happily ever after.

It just means when you do decide to date, get married and live happily ever after, you have the support of someone who loves you along the way.