Recent events inspire freedom of speech

Freedom of speech is one of the most important rights we have as Americans. I would like to think that most Americans enjoy their right to free speech- most of the time.

It’s easy to support free speech when you’re the one talking.

It’s much more difficult to be in favor of this right when you are listening, especially to something that opposes your own beliefs. Of course people will be supportive if they agree with what’s being said, but fortunately our rights extend past that.

We can say whatever we want, like it or not.

Freedom of speech has become an incredibly popular topic lately, in light of recent events. This right is becoming more of an issue in the US and around the world.

For example, “The Interview,” the new movie with Seth Rogan and James Franco, really offended some people abroad.

Producers even recalled the movie at one point to avoid disputes, but eventually released it anyway.

Additionally, twelve people from the French satirical paper, Charlie Hebdo, were murdered because the paper released a political cartoon depicting the Muslim prophet Muhammad and some Muslims considered it offensive.

More recently though, Michael Moore tweeted and it really started a fire among Americans. It came in response to the new movie “American Sniper.”

The tweet from Moore read: “My uncle killed by a sniper in WW2. We were taught snipers were cowards. Will shoot us in the back. Snipers aren’t heroes. And invaders are worse.”

This is where our freedom becomes an issue.

Everyone wants to say what he or she thinks because, of course, they believe they’re right.

And they believe others are wrong and they shouldn’t be allowed to express themselves.

But, it was his Twitter account; he can post whatever he wants.

I know a lot of people would be really be upset if someone tried to tell them what not to tweet.

The only exceptions to free speech are threats and hate speech, and unfortunately for some, hate speech includes all opinions that differ from their own.

All opinions are valid.

People are entitled to think what they want.

It is important to remember that however strongly you believe in something, everyone else has the right to believe in something else.

Opinions are subjective.

Check yourself because, no matter what you think, there is always a very strong possibility that someone else believes you are wrong.

What we have to do is stand up for our right to speak freely.

It is a slippery slope to delegate what people can and cannot say. People in other countries do not have the luxury of saying whatever they want.

In fact, many people are killed and die for speaking their minds.

Freedom of speech is so important because words are powerful. Words lead to action.

They incite revolutions.

Wars have been fought, people have died and history has been made all through words.

Words are how we communicate, how we interact with the world around us.

A life in which one cannot say whatever he or she wants is a life of fear, oppression, ignorance and slavery.

So, how do we protect our Constitutional right to speak freely?

We do so through unwavering support of the First Amendment. That can only be achieved through respect for one another.

Let’s all try to be a little more open-minded to what others have to say. Let’s not attack each other because we all feel differently.

Let’s embrace our opposing views and learn from them.

If we could do that, we’d all be a lot better off.