Colleges should teach students ‘adulting’

Titles. Taxes. Leases. Loans.  Money. Mortgages. These are things adults must know how to deal with. But where do they learn it? 

College students are expected to know how to maneuver through adult life right after they graduate. 

The second “Pomp and Circumstance” is over, students must find a place to live, do their taxes, find a job and do every other thing it takes to become an “adult.” 

Maybe it’s just me, but I am a year from graduation, and I have no idea how to do my taxes or find a place to live. 

I don’t even know who to go to for advice. Maybe my mom, but she can’t hold my hand my whole life. 

This is why universities should have  classes that teach students how to manage adulthood.

University seminar classes teach you random things you should know about college. 

Why isn’t there a class that teaches you about adulthood? 

I have learned a wide variety of skills in my classes for my future career. 

Ask me how to write an article about current news, I got you. Ask me about the disciplines of political science, and I can talk for hours. 

But if you ask me how to write a check or apply for a job, suddenly I’m speechless.

According to Forbes, only 13% of U.S. adults say college graduates are prepared for the workplace. 

College students leave school with the knowledge they need to do their job but not the knowledge as to how to get one. 

There are many areas where college students suffer because of a lack of knowledge. 

After college, they might be living paycheck to paycheck because they don’t know how to budget, pay rent that’s more than they can afford or be stuck with credit card debt. 

According to CNBC, 36% of U.S. college students have more than $1,000 in credit card debt. Credit cards are often used to pay for rent, food, utilities and other basic necessities because students don’t know how to manage their money. 

Students get stuck with irreversible problems because of a lack of knowledge. 

At ULM, I can take a physics of superheroes class, but not a class that teaches me life skills. I am sure that class is great, but will it help me in the real world? 

Universities need to have classes that teach college students how to transition into adulthood. 

An elective class that counts for one credit hour would drastically help students. Students would get the opportunity to learn skills they could use for the rest of their lives. 

It would also give students a mentor to turn to if they have questions about something in adulthood. 

We will all be forced into adulthood at some point. Why not go into it with some knowledge about taxes, leases, and mortgages?