Democrats just can’t do it; four more years of Jindal

If you read the brief on page two of this paper, then you know that state Sen. Rob Marionneaux will not be running for governor.

Democrats throughout the state had been optimistic that Marionneaux would decide to challenge Gov. Bobby Jindal. More than they wanted Marionneaux, they just wanted someone to get behind.

Now the party is back to square one, with no well-known candidate to back. Simply put, the La. Democratic Party is essentially dead.

Jindal’s critics have accumulated a long, long list of grievances, including millions in higher education cuts, using state funds to promote his book and fundraise around the nation and, as of last legislative session, his willingness to tax water but not tax cigarettes.

He’s got an approval rating that shows he is beatable and lots of discontent in his own party.

But what Jindal does have going for him is $9 million in campaign funds and a big, fat “R” behind his name.

There is a general belief among people in this state that all democrats are some sort of clones of Barak Obama or Nancy Pelosi. In fairness, that couldn’t be further from the truth as most democrats in La. are probably more moderate than Republicans in the Northeast or Calif.

Still, the Republican Party has done a fantastic job of branding Democrats as liberal monsters. They’ve done such a good job that the party is nearly non-existent in much of the South, perhaps especially so in La.

What the state gets instead is a lot of stagnation. No debate. No real chance for change.

Republicans are not going to challenge Jindal because, as a party, they are more content with owning the governor’s office than owning a governor who might do a better job.

Sorry Jindal foes; it looks like your stuck with him for the next four years.