Take Occupy movement seriously, don’t silence

The Occupy Wall Street movement is becoming dangerous. Not because they are militant or destructive, but because they are learning they have a lot of power.

What began as a simple movement in New York has grown into the thousands across the nation. The people are simply upset with how America is conducting business. It’s hard for Occupiers to see any logic in their government asking them to pay less taxes than the people who make millions.

The same millionaires are the ones that run the banks who’s greed caused the financial collapse in 2008. They’re the same millionaires that took millions of taxpayer money because their businesses were “too big to fail.” How did they spend that money? They gave themselves bonuses, didn’t loan anything out and laid off a bunch of workers.

Couple that behavior with politicians like Newt Gingrich who said of the Occupy movement: “First I’d tell them to take a bath, and then I’d tell them to get a job.”

It’s not that simple Newt. The Occupy people are people qualified for jobs; there just aren’t any out there because the so-called “job creators” aren’t creating any jobs.

And that is why they are upset. They’re upset to see the millionaires who can’t pay taxes because they have to create jobs, but then they aren’t creating any.

Actually, Bank of America just announced they are laying off 30,000 workers.

These are people that college student should get behind. There are many young people who graduated only to find no jobs.

Many of us could find ourselves in the same situation very soon if things don’t get better. But how can anything get better when the job creators refuse to create or pay their fair share?

As the movement continues and grows, those involved are starting to learn the enormous amount of power they can control.

The movement has become a nuisance to public officials in places like New York and Atlanta. City officials in both of those places tried to shut them down, and they tried violently.

What these officials should be noting is that when you try to restrict people’s free speech about something they are passionate about, they are going to push back.

These officials use the actions of a few of these Occupiers to cast the whole lot as a violent, out-of-control mob.

Granted, there have been a few instances of unruly behavior by some of these people, but they are few and far between when compared to the rest of the group.

But who’s really more violent here: the Occupiers who were sitting peacefully on public land at a university of California, or the police who were sent in to douse the protestors in pepper spray?

Who’s more violent: protestors in a drum circle or the New York City police in riot armor beating them with nightsticks?

If this behavior from the police is allowed to continue, the widely peaceful protestors may soon become violent.

What happens then? What happens when thousands of angry people in cities across the nation decide they are tired of being victims and they decide to take action?

It’s a scary thought, but it is a possibility if the economy doesn’t improve. It’s a possibility as long as politicians like Gingrich continue to write them off. It’s a possibility as long as city officials keep sending out the police to try and control them.

Let’s all hope people start to listen and it doesn’t get any worse.