Education investments should be used wisely

The Monroe City School Board has hired a firm that will give $15 gift cards to students for attending extra classes. I propose schools extend hours of operation rather than pay a firm to do their jobs for them.
I know I will be unpopular among school children with this kind of talk, but it does not make sense to me that we send kids to public schools so the schools can send them to alternative educational sources.
Let’s keep the kids in class longer, take the money we would have spent on these extra services and spend it on things that make education fun. Why are we throwing money to outside sources to give kids an education instead of giving more money to the schools we trusted with our kids in the first place?
Some critics tell me that we can’t give the extra money to the schools because they won’t spend it correctly, or the teachers would just keep raking in money while they don’t teach, and the children suffer.
But if we don’t think our educational system is doing well, then we need more than just reform. If the educational system is this bad, we need dismantlement.
I am against the privatization of education, but I am also against the government being overly involved in it. First thing’s first: If we truly care about kids learning, we’ll stop trying to bribe them.
If we truly care, then we’ll abolish the Federal Department of Education. We’ll reinvest that power back into the state departments. But I think we should take it a step further. Not only should we abolish the DOE, but also limit the state’s DOE’s power. Let’s give more power to the local school boards, put education back in the hands of the local community and take it out of the hands of the bureaucrats.