GOP picked wrong candidate

On the eve of Super Tuesday, it’s Mitt Romney’s race to lose. The Republican front-runner is likely going to win more primaries, which will all but assure him of getting the nomination.

That doesn’t mean he’s going to win the White House. The more Romney talks, the more he disconnects himself from the every day voter.

He goes to Detroit, which has a jobless rate of more than 11 percent, and tells people his wife “drives a couple of Cadillacs.”

Then, he goes to the Daytona 500 to show he’s just an average guy, but he told the media he doesn’t really watch NASCAR. He’s just a friend of several of the team owners.

He’s got offshore bank accounts in the Cayman Islands, vacation homes in New Hampshire and California and made his living running the powerful Bain Capital.

By all accounts, Americans should be looking up to Romney for achieving such financial success. After all, isn’t that the American dream?

Somehow, that’s not how Romney comes across. In the age of the “99 percent,” people want a person they can relate to, someone who understands their struggles.

The charisma-brimming Obama is poised to position himself as a man of the people. It won’t take much compared to the often-stiff Romney.

Couple that stiffness with Romney’s endless position flip-flopping. If Romney isn’t even sure what his positions are on the issues, how in the world will he communicate them to voters?

The Republicans made a mistake endorsing Romney so soon. It’s still not too late for voters to change gears and go with someone else, but those doors are closing quickly.