Monroe Drivers: Pay Attention!

What’s up with the bad drivers in Monroe lately? It seems like everyday I almost get into a wreck when someone comes barreling through a red light or stop sign without a sideways glance. Literally. 

I’ve been annoyed about this for a while because I think safety is important. I try to be mindful of others because I don’t want to hurt someone, and I expect other people to extend me the same courtesy.

So my annoyance evolved into anger last week when my sister and I had a wreck on our way to the ULM baseball game. 

We were driving through the traffic circle at the Broadmoor Boulevard and Bienville Drive intersection when an older lady didn’t acknowledge the yield sign and slammed into the side of our car. Our door was crunched pretty good, but luckily, no one was hurt. 

I was really angry when the older lady told the policeman she thought the wreck was my sister’s fault, saying we didn’t stop to let her into the circle. 

We were already in the circle! You’re the one who should yield. Actually, you passed the sign, which told you to yield, right before you hit us. Anyway, the police record showed that the lady was at fault, and the door will be fixed. 

The whole thing could have been avoided, though, if she had been paying attention.

The reason for my frustration with bad drivers is because of a personal experience my family went through almost 14 years ago. My uncle, aunt and two cousins were coming to Monroe for a visit. 

On their way through Jackson, Miss., they had a car accident with an 18-wheeler. My uncle Frank and my cousin Nina died. He was 48 years old, and she was 9 years old.

I think it’s so important to be careful. Why run a red light? It may save you two minutes, but if you get in a wreck, you’ll still be late. And if you’re on your way to the hospital in the back of an ambulance, you’ll definitely be late. 

Pay attention. It really is better to be safe than sorry.