Students’ votes are important, determine future of University

So this week you get to go into the proverbial voting booth and select your student government representatives and leaders. This is a prime example of why it’s important to pay attention to what happens at ULM.
The people you’re going to vote for are the ones who will be your voice to the administration. You should pick the candidates who will serve you best.
A problem I’ve always seen with school elections, and more recently state and national elections, is that they are increasingly becoming popularity contests.
The person with the best ideas, the most passion and the strongest character is the person you should choose, not the one who has the coolest friends or who’s in your fraternity/sorority.
You are participating in an American right – to choose who you want to represent you. Most people don’t understand the depth of such an action.
The idea of a common person being able to choose his or her representative and to have a hand in government – in this case student government – affairs is not something to be squandered.
Democracy is relatively new in human history, especially democracy where even the most common of men have a voice.
When you log in to vote this week, keep in mind that what you are doing is a valuable act.
You have the power to decide which direction our student government goes.
In addition to choosing your student leaders, in this election you also have the power to decide the direction the University will take for years to come.
Don’t send us in the direction of a water park.
I am all in favor of getting an amphitheater, which is included in the Bayou Park pool plans, because I think the arts are subjects that should be shared.
However, I do not think putting an outdoor swimming pool, which could only be used seasonally, on our campus is a good idea.
Putting a swimming pool on campus is an insane idea. This is a university, not a water park. This place is for learning, not recreational activities.
Granted, we are lucky enough to attend a university that provides both education and recreation for the students, but we should realize that the first and foremost job of a university is to provide an education.
If people want to swim, then go to the natatorium. Apparently, though, the majority of students don’t care about swimming. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be debating the closing of the natatorium.
I just don’t understand why we would turn a fully functioning swimming pool into a convention center and then turn around and build a new pool that can only be used from April to October. That just doesn’t make sense to me.