Presidential choice only skin deep

Well, it’s official. Release the balloons, doves, confetti and what have you. D.C. is now the new Hollywood.

The political partnership of Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan is probably the most handsome in our nation’s history. Let’s face it. Romney does have great hair, and he is a decent speaker. Oh, and don’t forget his flawless application of fake tanner to give him that “I’m not really 65-years-old” look.

Ryan, also great hair, was said to be hiding a six-pack, and calls rang out of newsrooms across the country to see it. “Paul Ryan shirtless” was one of the most searched terms on Google last week.

The people asked, and late last week TMZ delivered. Ryan on the other did not. His stomach is clearly in no shape to be second-in-command.

Then there is Barack Obama, who rocked the world with his pop-star start in 2008, which led to him sweeping the Democratic Party’s primaries against the political boulder that is Hillary Clinton. It really blows my mind to think about how a fairly young man, with little political experience, beat out a giant like Clinton.

Why has politics become so aesthetic? It is, frankly, embarrassing to think the citizenry in this country has been reduced to picking between the lesser of two evils, with the only criteria one needs to win is to be better looking than the other.

Another great example is the Tea Party diva Sarah Palin. Palin, who had barely been governor for one term, skyrocketed to political stardom when candidate John McCain picked her to be his running mate in 2008. Sadly for McCain, Palin’s “sexy librarian” look was no match for Obama’s gusto.

If everyone would stop and think about it, they would realize it’s true. We live in a vain culture, thanks to television and the pressures of Hollywood. Americans have come to expect our reality to line up with our fantasy, and our politics know it.

It has become increasingly evident to me that we no longer have elections in this country. We have casting calls and auditions.

Think of a movie where the main character drives a van for a living, but somehow is able to afford a penthouse with a Manhattan skyline view. At first glance, most would not think anything about, but if people would think about it, they would realize it does not add up—kind of like Ryan’s budget plan. We all like to think we can work for minimum wage and live like stars, but it is just not possible.

There is no amount of data in the world that will make me believe Romney won the nomination based on his policies and record. I never thought I would see the day when a liberal-to-moderate millionaire from Massachusetts, who served one term as governor, would be elected to represent the Republican Party in the presidential election. It had to be his hair. I know that sounds absurd, but American politics is absurd.

It’s time America was given a real choice again. Obama and Romney are two sides of the same inflated dollar, and do not differ from each other on things that matter to the continuity of the Republic. At least, they don’t differ as of today. With Romney, tomorrow may be another story.

If we continue voting for the lesser of two evils we will never elect the candidate we need. If we keep voting for the populist, who tells us what we want to hear, we will elect the candidate we deserve.

All I am asking for is a true conservative to make it to the finals. I want someone who would make Barry Goldwater proud, someone who would make me want to return to the GOP. I want someone who said he was a conservative and did not support: The Patriot Act, TARP, two stimulus packages, industry bailouts, NDAA, SOPA, raising the debt ceiling and putting limits on the rights of the American people.

Look at me go. Maybe I am the one confusing fantasy with reality.