Olympic ceremonies were as boring as Britain

The Olympics have always been an opportunity for the world to come together to compete for the gold. For many, the sporting events are the best part of the Olympics. I guess it should be, since that’s the whole point.

But for me, I’d say the best part of the Olympics is the opening and closing ceremonies. Well that’s what I’d usually say. This year I was mostly disappointed. After the amazing opening ceremony of the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, it was obvious Great Britain had a lot of work cut out for them.

I’d say Great Britain struggled.

The ceremonies focused on the contributions Great Britain has made in the world. There were exciting moments in the two ceremonies but there were plenty of moments where I sat confused.

One of my favorite parts of the opening ceremony was the five golden rings uniting with a downpour of sparks.

And of course my favorite part of the closing ceremony was the Spice Girls performance. I sang every word with them and I’m not ashamed.

Now for the moments that left me in a state of confusion. What was up with the giant baby? In the planning meetings for these ceremonies the giant baby should never have been approved.

And I guess the planning committee thought the giant baby would be such a hit they decided to also make a giant head of John Lennon. After a video montage of Lennon singing “Imagine,” actors in the show brought puzzle pieces together to create the giant face of John Lennon. I guess it would feel pretty special to be able to say you held John Lennon’s nose in the 2012 Olympic Closing Ceremony. Seriously Great Britain, this was a fail.

The closing ceremony imitated a huge party with plenty of performers including Jessie J, One Direction and Taio Cruz.

But Annie Lennox brought the excitement to a halt with her gothic performance of “Little Bird.” It looked like she sailed in from Hell. She should change her name to “Queen of the Underworld” after that performance.

We have four years until the next summer Olympics. Let’s hope Brazil won’t disappoint.