Greek life spreads holiday cheer at Songfest

Greek unity and Christmas spirit was spread Wednesday night at the annual Greek Songfest.

The majority of the Greek organizations came together to compete in the singing competition.

Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. took first place, PIKE received second and AOII came in third in the competition.

Iota Phi Theta only had one member participate, but was joined with members of Neville High School’s Youth Alliance.

“It’s still humbling. There’s only two people in our chapter,” said Joshua Madison, a senior communication studies major, “It shows that it’s not necessarily about numbers.”

Madison and his group performed a rap piece that he said he wrote back in 2004.

Admission was $2 donations or a canned good. The donations went to the Food Bank of NELA.

Mayor Jamie Mayo made a special guest appearance as well.

The winner of the competition received the opportunity to perform at the Monroe Christmas tree lighting ceremony.

Acts ranged from serious traditional Christmas selections to goofy made-up lyrics.

PIKE did its own rendition of “Walking in a Winter Wonderland” and changed the words to “Flying in a Warhawk Wonderland.”

Singing was not the only type of performances people saw during songfest.

Incorporating skits in with the song selections was a popular choice. Zeta Phi Beta and Phi Beta Sigma were one of the groups who opted to have speaking roles in between their song choices rather than just having each song flow into the next.

In the past, sororities have taken the event a little more seriously than the fraternities do, choosing more serious songs and caring more about the outcome than most of the fraternities.

This year that changed. One of the most well received pieces actually came from a fraternity this year.

Kappa Sigma decided to ditch its normally silly routine and had a guitarist, a pianist and self-written lyrics.

Many girls in the audience said they were immediately swooned.

“We just went out there and gave it our all. We pulled through better than last year,” said Cameron Merrell, a sophomore  mass communications major..