Supplements offer help for studying

As final exams approach, students need to form ‘healthy’ study habits to help better their chances of succeeding.

Caffeine shots and coffee are popular pick-me-ups when students get sleepy during those late-night study sessions.

Though they may give you an instant kick, these sugar-filled energy boosters will leave you crashing.

What is a healthy study habit?

First of all, students can start off by making a calm environment.

“Make your surroundings peaceful…you don’t want to use stimulants or things that will keep you from sleeping,” said Angie Blades, owner of Fiesta Nutrition Center (located on N.18th st.).

Students can stop by Fiesta Nutrition Center and create their own version of a ‘student survival kit’ for finals week for $25 or less.

Anxiety Bach Rescue Remedy helps with stress relief and can be purchased in the form of a liquid, lozenge or even gum.

The store also carries aromatherapy candles and soaps to help create that important, peaceful space that students need to focus.

Students also might want to think twice before chugging those coffee drinks to stay awake.

“Too much coffee will make your mind jumpy where you can’t concentrate,” said Blades. Blades said it also can cause an upset stomach.

There are a lot of items that can replace coffee that students may not even think about as means to help them study.

Healthy snacks, protein bars, smoothies made from protein powders and green tea drinks are all suitable replacements for the average cup of Joe. All of these items can be found at Fiesta.

Wal-Mart also has its fair share of vitamins to choose from.

Focusfactor is one supplement they carry that is supposed to help with memory, concentration and focus. Focusfactor sells for about $15 at the Wal-Mart on Louisville.

ULM even offers free and simple ways to help form a healthier study habit.

“Exercise helps pump oxygen to the brain which is much needed during studying hours. So, I would encourage students to take an hour or so to walk (yes walk) down to the activity center and participate in one of the group exercise classes,” said Marcela Do Nascimento, a senior nursing major. Nascimento said her favorite class offered is Zumba.

Hercampus.com is also a great resource for health study snacks according to Nascimento.