Let’s get candid: students talk sexuality

Human sexuality is something society seems to be focusing on a lot lately.

With shows like “Glee” and “Grey’s Anatomy,” characters who question their sexuality are popping up on television scripts everywhere.

There are a lot of questions that arise with this subject.

Are you born gay or is it possible to turn gay?

Is it bisexuality or is it just experimentation?

These things are constantly debated and can often be confusing no matter what sexual orientation someone might claim.

Maybe human sexuality is not just a black and white situation.

Maybe there is not just gay, lesbian and straight.

Maybe there is.

This question is still officially left unanswered, not only in the straight community, but also in the gay community.

While some may not believe being born gay is possible, some people say it is, and they speak from experience.

Blake Hagan has always known he was gay.

“It’s not something that just clicks one day. It might click that it’s time for you to face the facts, but if you’re really gay, you have always known,” Hagan, a junior music education  major, said.

Hagan said he doesn’t think someone can turn gay or turn straight.

“I was putting belts around my large night shirts since I could talk. I believe everyone knows,” Hagan said.

Junior history major Randol Tittle said he knew he was gay in junior high.

“I would look at the boys and think ‘oh, he’s cute’ and then look at the girls and think ‘she’s cool I want to be her friend,’” Tittle said. “You are either born gay or straight. Most people generally wouldn’t wake up and say ‘hey…I think I’ll be gay today’.”

Tittle said he’s not God so he can’t say if being gay is a sin or not, but that people do other things the Bible considers sinful.

“According to Leviticus 11:7-8, eating pork is a sin. Leviticus 19:28 states that tattoos are sinful, and 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 states that women are not allowed to speak within a church,” Tittle said.

Shows like “Sex and the City” often have a character who is straight but later on develops a crush on a member of the same sex.

Samantha from “Sex and the City” is known for sleeping around with men.

But during season 4 of the show Samantha began dating a woman and declared herself gay.

Later on, she returned to being straight.

In “Grey’s Anatomy” a similar situation occurred when Callie Torres dated one of the male doctors, began dating a female doctor, had sex with a male doctor and then went back to dating the female doctor again.

Situations like this raise the question: Is bisexuality real?

Hagan feels it is a lie.

“I personally believe that people tell themselves they are [bisexual] because they are scared to come out, and so little gay boy can hold a girl’s hand without feeling weird,” Hagan said.

The American Institute of Bisexuality defines bisexuals as “people who have the innate capacity to form enduring physical, romantic and/or emotional attractions to those of the same gender or to those of another gender.”

Josh McDowell, a senior pre-professional health studies major and a heterosexual, said he believes bisexuality does exist, but does not believe someone can turn gay.

“I do think it’s possible for a person to have suppressed their attraction to the same sex during their younger years and that attraction emerging once free of whatever caused the suppression,” McDowell said.

According to McDowell the assumption of the general public is that bisexuality equals deviancy because of the doubling of chances to be attracted to another person- therefore double the cheating opportunities.

“Bisexuality is not a confused sexuality- it’s people’s attitude toward bisexuality that is confused,” McDowell said.

Approximately 11 percent of Americans claim to have at least some same-sex sexual attractions according to the UCLA School of Law