Major Spotlight: health studies gives students options

There are countless aspects of the medical field.

Students who pursue a degree in health studies have various career options to consider.

The health studies degree’s broad scope serves as an advantage to graduates who can either enter into the healthcare industry or attend graduate school.

Callie Anyan, a senior health studies major, changed her major from nursing to health studies. This allowed her to remain in the medical field and showed her the variety of options within the major.

“It’s a very versatile degree. It opens up several doors to both medical practice and administration,” said Anyan.

“I’m interested in hospital administration and management, social services, and pharmaceutical sales.”

Choices begin at ULM between two concentrations in the health studies program: the pre-professional option or the healthcare management/marketing option.

The healthcare management/marketing option is also available online through ULM’s GOLD program.

This option is especially beneficial to non-traditional students who are already employed in the industry and can simultaneously work and continue their education to help boost their career.

An exciting “bridge” option for certified occupational therapy assistants allow them to transfer previous credits toward a bachelor’s degree.  Now they can complete this degree on an accelerated track and start towards obtaining a master’s degree.

Both concentrations allow enough elective credits for students to supplement the degree with a minor.

In fact, the students in the program can obtain a business administration minor simply by taking one additional course.

The flexibility of the health studies program allows students plenty of freedom to determine their specific paths in the industry.

The pre-professional concentration is ideal for students looking to prepare for occupational therapy programs, physician assistant schools and many other professional and graduate education programs.

Those interested in the business side of the healthcare industry can choose the healthcare management/marketing concentration.

This concentration can lead to careers in administration, communications, sales and other departments.

Health studies department head, Jessica Dolecheck says the degree’s options bring a diverse group to campus.

“The department serves different types of students, while giving non-traditional students the ability to meet more workforce needs,” Dolecheck said.

The program has a growing Health Studies Student Association (HSSA).  ULM currently has 185 health studies majors.

Faculty in the department highly encourage students to make appointments to learn more and advising sessions to get the most of out of the health studies program.

Recent ULM graduates have gone into positions such as Pharmaceutical Sales Associate at ECR Pharmaceuticals, Administrative Specialist at P&S Surgical Hospital, Residency Coordinator at Willis Knighton Hospital and Marketing/Communications Specialist at Delhi Hospital and Clinic, just to name a few.