Major Spotlight: Education majors lay ground work for future students

ULM offers education degrees such as math, science and English. Students can choose which route depending on their interest.

Students can also earn advanced degrees in many of the same areas. A Masters of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T) option for teachers already employed that are seeking more certification and add-on endorsements to previous certifications.

Advanced degrees offered in the graduate program are elementary education, secondary education, reading and special education.

Emily Lovelady, a senior elementary education major, says that teachers lay the groundwork.

“The most important thing, and I live by this and hope to bring it to my classroom one day, is that every child can learn, but not all in the same way or in the same time,” Lovelady said.

Four options for certification specifically in special education are early intervention, educational assessment, gifted/talented and mild/moderate disabilities.

A doctorate in education is available in curriculum and instruction.

Majors other than the specified elementary education majors are secondary and focus on grades 6-12.

Both the French and Spanish education majors cover grades K-12.

Many majors also allow for one of two add-ons: early childhood education and special education.  Secondary education majors are also able to pursue a minor if desired.

The availability of all of these majors enables students to decide their path into the field of education based on their personal interests and aspirations.

“I’m learning to accommodate all students in the classroom so that they can reach their full potential,” Lovelady said. “My job will be to reach every child that walks through my door, to keep them safe, love them and scaffold learning so they can become productive citizens.”

Though the fields of interest vary, all education majors have a foundation in taking similar basic courses.

Students take the PRAXIS exam for admission into the teacher education program, get field experience and learn by student teaching in classrooms in local schools.

“We want them to experience diversity,” assistant department head of curriculum, instruction and leadership, Ava Pugh said.

The program also has an international honor society, Kappa Delta Pi, for students majoring in education.

A+PEL is another group on campus education majors can get involved in. Associated Professional Educators of Louisiana volunteer at local schools, attend conferences and networks with education professionals.

Though students have the common goal of teaching and impacting students, a student’s particular education major depends on the subject that he or she prefers.

This option allows students to learn about what interests them and to pass on that knowledge to their future students.

“I decided to become a secondary English education major first off because I believe I would enjoy teaching English for a lifelong career,” Sarah Chisholm, a senior secondary English education major, said.

“I want to teach because I would love to be ‘that teacher’ that someone remembers and appreciates – the teacher that someone thinks back to. I would love to change or guide someone’s life, even in the smallest way.”