Die Fledermaus shows what students are made of

Photo by Daniel Russell“Die Fledermaus” kept the audience bursting with laughter last Thursday and Friday in Brown Auditorium.

Students put on two lively performances of this 1874 operetta by Johann Strauss called, “Die Fledermaus” also known as, “The Revenge of the Bat.”

The audience was transported to Vienna in 1900 where they visit the tumultuous couple Eisenstein and Rosalinda, along with the chambermaid Adele in their apartment in Act I, Prince Orlovsky’s palace ballroom in Act II and the city jail in Act III.

In a turn of events laced with lies by clandestine lovers and an ambitious maid, confusion ensues when the “dream world” of Dr. Falke is revealed as an elaborate hoax set up to get revenge on Eisenstein for a practical joke on Dr. Falke from years before.

Elements such as romance, music and champagne mix for an opera filled with racy humor.

“I have never seen a humorous opera before and wanted a good laugh,” Carleigh Roberts, a freshman pre-pharmacy major, said.

The themes of love, revenge and dreams come true combine to make for a dramatic display of questionable characters and their even more questionable choices.

However, the audience could certainly admire a character’s dare to dream big, as it pays off for chambermaid Adele, who falls into an acting opportunity.

Students gave stellar performances and their vocal talent and humor were admired as the crowd laughed, applauded and gave a standing ovation.

“As an alum, I’m honored being with so many talented musicians and sharing the stage,” recent alumnus Daniel Zeagler as Eisenstein, said.

The opera was chosen for its singing and acting required by the characters as well as its hilarious elements.

As a number of roles were double casted, the opera filled the need for many dynamic roles for students.

Mark Clark, director and associate professor of music, attributed this need to the many talented students at ULM who can sing and act and that needed to be part of a classic.

Students began rehearsing for the performances in August. Plenty of preparation went into putting the show together including learning the music, learning the lines and working on staging every day beginning in the end of September.

Students also worked on the production side of the opera.

Clark said it was truly a “full-out student effort.”

“I hope the student, faculty, community realizes how much talent is here, and we hope they are entertained by the characters and situations,” Clark said. “There is also something very uplifting about seeing and listening to talent and singing, and watching the students working together onstage and behind the scenes.”

Whether it is an up and coming actress or an exotic Hungarian countess, the opera “Die Fledermaus” shows the audience just how easy it is to transport oneself to another world simply by a change of identity.