Is it ever too early for Christmas?

Just hear those sleigh bells ringing ominously in the distance. Christmas seems to be coming closer and closer every year, and this year the cheery displays were out and about before Halloween had even passed.

But how early is too early?

“In New Orleans we have huge Christmas celebrations all throughout November so I’m used to the hype coming early,” Grant Bourgeois said.

Bourgeois, a freshman pre-nursing major, believes that Christmas has lost its true meaning due to commercialization.

Some think Christmas hype is getting more ridiculous every year and the presents are getting more and more outrageous.

Starbucks already has their Christmas display set up, complete with cute ornaments and red and gold-colored coffee packages.

“Thanksgiving has not lost its meaning yet, to me it has always been about being thankful for what you have. Family, good food and football,” Bourgeois said. “I love Christmas, because it is a time to spend with family, but so is Thanksgiving.”

With Christmas showing up earlier every year, Bourgeois wonders if next year we’ll be seeing Christmas décor before Halloween.

Amy Fontenot, a sophomore biology major, believes that the growing Christmas hype has come a month too early.

“I like to take every holiday as it comes, enjoy each season. November is for Thanksgiving and after it’s over I can look forward to Christmas,” Fontenot said.

Fontenot’s favorite part of the Christmas season is spending time with family and enjoying traditions with her relatives.

Commercial incentives and sales seem ridiculous to Fontenot, Black Friday especially. Fighting over material objects seems to defeat the purpose of the season.

“I don’t think it’s wrong to enjoy Christmas, but it is too early to even be thinking about it,” Fontenot said.

But Benjamin Martin, a freshman computer information systems major, said there is a reason for the early Christmas hype, although that doesn’t mean Thanksgiving should be forgotten.

“The Christmas season helps uplift spirits, and makes finals more bearable,” Martin said. “The Christmas spirit brings everyone together, gives them a wholesome feeling of joy that helps them get through the stressful times.”

Martin feels like there is no such thing as too early to get into the Christmas spirit, sometimes he wishes he could celebrate every day.

Though businesses seem to forget Thanksgiving due to the biggest shopping day of the year, it is simply due to profit.

The most a customer will purchase for Thanksgiving is a turkey, while the monetary profits from Christmas sales are astronomical in comparison.

Some even spend Thanksgiving day planning out their routes for Black Friday shopping, where most stores now open as early as midnight.

“As long as we don’t forget it’s all about family and the people around us, it’s kind of cliché but it’s not about the gifts,” Martin said.

While Christmas to some may be the most wonderful time of the year, we should all take the time to enjoy the season of thankfulness.

Even though there is no Thanksgiving music to enjoy, or presents received, the holiday should be allowed its time to shine.