Professors offer students advice on finding work

Students spend years working towards a degree with a common goal in mind- getting that perfect job. What distinguishes those who get hired from the stack of applicants that were turned down? Well, a variety of things can make or break an applicant.

The first step in the job hunt process is, of course, the application. Employers expect people seeking employment to be prepared when applying for a position.

Belinda Morgan, coordinator of nursing intervention and associate professor of nursing, said someone hoping to be hired should come prepared with everything that an employer might need, such as a resume, driver’s license and social security card. A resume should include education, work experience, and contact information, Morgan said.

Once a resume has been accepted, an employer is likely to request an interview. Morgan said that when going to an interview, one should be dressed in business attire, not casual wear like blue jeans. Morgan emphasized the importance of how applicants present themselves in their appearance.

Roslynn Pogue, Director of the Office of Career Connections, and Kyle O’Neal, Coordinator of Academic Internships, said that working can be beneficial for students.

“It gives them the skill of time management, and beyond that it makes for a more determined individual because they do have to make some sacrifices socially,” O’Neal said.

“It is beneficial because they are going to acquire the experience of working with others,” Pogue said.

Employers set out to hire the best person for the position, and certain qualities set some apart from others.

Kris Kelley, lab manager of the Soil-Plant Analysis Laboratory, said that reliability is the most important trait of anyone seeking a job.

After the interview, comes the waiting period when hopeful employees wait to receive a call back. Kelley said that it is always acceptable for an applicant to call the employer back a day or two after the interview.

“It expresses interest and motivation,” Kelley said.

Kelley also said that it is important to listen to what the employer needs and be prepared with everything they have asked for before calling back.

According to a survey conducted by the Workforce Solutions Group at St. Louis Community College, more than 60 percent of employers say  applicants lack communication and interpersonal skills.

Managers also say applicants can’t think critically, solve problems or write well.

Interning plays a major role in landing the right job. The survey also notes that only 44 percent of students that did not intern, while in college, feel they are prepared for the workplace.